This easy-to-make crockpot venison roast recipe was given to me by a hunting friend several years ago, and it has quickly become a favorite of mine (and everyone I’ve made it for). Try it once and I’m sure you will agree.
• One 2 to 3-lb. vension roast
• 1-oz. dry packet of Au Jus mix
• 1-oz. dry packet of ranch dressing mix
• 4 tbsp. butter
• 2 cups water
• 1-2 tbsp. minced garlic
• 1 medium onion (coarsely chopped)
• 1 small bag of peeled baby carrots
• 8 oz. of fresh sliced portabella mushrooms (or the mushroom of your choosing)
• 1 small jar of pepperoncini w/stems removed (you can add more for more heat)
Put the venison roast into your crockpot. Add all of the ingredients (hold off on the carrots and mushrooms until the last 2-3 hours of cooking if you prefer firmer). Pour the water over the ingredients and mix together thoroughly. Turn Crockpot on and cook for 8-10 hours on Low heat.
The gravy that results is definitely on the thin side, which I like. But if you prefer a thicker gravy, you can thicken it with some flour or corn starch. The venison should be melt-in-your-mouth tender at this point, and I like to serve it over a healthy pile of mashed potatoes.