Grilled Korean Bulgogi Venison Kebabs Recipe
This Grilled Korean Bulgogi Venison Kebabs Recipe marinates for a full day to take the already flavorful Asian bulgogi sauce to the next level
I try to keep a jar of Korean BBQ bulgogi sauce on hand. It’s an easy way to add flavor to meat and have dinner ready on the table in a jiffy. Sweet and savory, bulgogi sauce is intensely flavorful, and with the special ingredient of Asian pear juice, it does a really good job at tenderizing tough cuts of meat. After 24 hours of marinating and a quick sear on the grill for caramelization, the venison became so tender that I was able to easily take bites off the skewer with just my teeth.
I like the CJ Brand of bulgogi marinade because it’s not as salty, but you can use whatever brand you can find. The saltier the sauce, the less time you’ll need to marinate the meat. Bulgogi marinade also tastes great with Canada goose.
Prep time: 24 hours
Cook time: 10-15 minutes
- 1 ½ pounds of venison roast
- 1 jar of Korean BBQ bulgogi marinade
- 1 red onion, cut into large pieces
- 10 shishito peppers, optional
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Cooked long grain white rice
- Remove as much silver skin as possible from venison roast and slice into 1½-inch chunks. Place meat into a nonreactive bowl and pour enough Korean BBQ bulgogi marinade over the meat to coat all the pieces. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours preferably, but at least 8 hours.
Obviously the longer you can marinate the meat, the more flavorful and tender the meat will become. But if you don’t have time, you can marinate for as little as an hour.
- Prior to cooking, soak bamboo skewers in water for about 30 minutes. Remove meat from the marinade and push them onto skewers with alternating pieces of red onion. Prepare grill for medium-high heat cooking.
- Brush the kebabs and lightly toss shishito peppers with oil, and then grill. The peppers should be blistered and slightly browned – they will cook a lot faster than the kebabs, so remove them off the grill when ready, toss with salt and set aside. Turn kebabs to evenly brown all over and cook until desired temperature is reached.
- Serve venison kebabs with white rice and shishito peppers on the side.