Venison Zucchini Boats
July 20, 2017
This has fast become one of my favorite venison meals. I can't take credit for the recipe (that honor goes to my better half, Shannon), but I do know a keeper venison recipe when I eat one. I hope you and your friends and family agree. Enjoy!
- 1 lb. ground venison
- 3-4 zucchini or yellow squash
- 1-2 green pepper (or other colors based on preference)
- 1 large sweet yellow onion
- 8 oz. Portabella sliced mushrooms
- 1 28oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 bag shredded Mexican cheese blend
1. Cut zucchini or squash in half lengthwise and then adjust to meet the measurement of the cooking sheet. Spray olive oil on the cooking sheet and then place the zucchini or squash face down and roast for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.
2. Remove squash from oven, let cool, then spoon out seeds and vegetable meat and place in bowl. This will be combined with the other ingredients.
3. Brown ground venison in skillet over medium to high heat, avoid overcooking or burning the meat.
4. Chop onion, green pepper, garlic and then sauté in a skillet until the vegetables sweat, then add tomatoes and mushrooms and let the mixture reduce.
5. Add venison, sautéed vegtables, squash meat, egg and Italian seasoning to a large mixing bowl.
6. Spoon mixture of meat, egg, parmesan and Italian seasoning into zucchini or squash
7. Spoon vegetable mixture over the top of meat mixture
8. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese over the top.
9. Heat oven to 425 degrees and cook zucchini or squash for 20 minutes.
10. Remove zucchini or squash from oven top with a Mexican blend cheese and then broil for 3-5 minutes until cheese is bubbling.
11. Remove from oven, let cool, then serve.